Jennifer M. Bean is Robert Jolin Osborne Professor of Cinema and Media Studies. She is Associate Chair of Cinema and Media Studies, and Adjunct Associate Professor of Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies. She has published widely on silent-era cinema, including her edited and co-edited collections such as the award-winning Silent Cinema and the Politics of Space (Indiana UP, 2014), Flickers of Desire: Movie Stars of the 1910s (Rutgers UP, 2011), A Feminist Reader in Early Cinema (Duke UP, 2002) and a special issue of Camera Obscura on “Early Women Stars” (2001). She currently is Editor-in-Chief of Feminist Media Histories: An International Journal (2020-25), and is a recipient of the prestigious Katherine Singer Kovacs essay award from the Society for Cinema and Media Studies, as well as the Best Edited Collection in English Language Film and Media Studies. Her investment in silent-era film preservation and restoration agendas has led to her advisory work for the Women Film Pioneers Project, Thanhouser Film Company Preservation, Inc., Turner Classic Movies, the British Film Institute, BBC-2, and the National Film Preservation Foundation; her voice-over on various restored films from the early period of cinema can be heard on two DVD-anthologies, More Treasures from The Film Archives (2004), and Treasures III: Social Issues in Early American Cinema (2007). At the University of Washington, she teaches courses in film theory, genre, American cinema, celebrity cultures, Media & the Environment, historiography, and analysis.
- Jennifer M. Bean. Silent Cinema and the Politics of Space. Indiana University Press: 2014.
- Jennifer M. Bean. Flickers of Desire: Movie Stars of the 1910s. Rutgers University Press: 2011.
- Jennifer M. Bean (co-editor). A Feminist Reader in Early Cinema. Duke University Press: 2002.
- Jennifer M. Bean. The Play in the Machine: Gender, Genre, and the Cinema of Modernity. Duke University Press (forthcoming).
Research Advised: Graduate Dissertations
- Ungsan Kim. "Cruising the Cityscape: Queer Temporality in Contemporary East Asian Cinema." Diss., 2019.
- Rachel Graf. "Comics Explosion: Representations of Persecution in Graphic Narratives, 1995-2015." Diss., 2015.
- Annie Fee. "Gender, Class and Cinephilia: Parisian Cinema Cultures, 1918-1925." Diss., 2015.
- Shuli Chen. "Cinemas and Cities: Spatiality in Taiwanese, Mexican and Iranian Urban Films." Diss., 2009.
- Trevor Elkington. "Moments in Space, spaces in time: Phenomenology and the embodied depth of cinematic image." Diss., 2001.
- Jennifer Bean named first Robert Jolin Osborne Professor of Cinema and Media Studies - January 13, 2020
- Faculty Spotlight: Jennifer Bean - October 5, 2018
- STG Presents Silent Movie Mondays: Leading Ladies - March 27, 2018
- Congratulations to the Simpson Center funding award winners! - January 11, 2018
- Jennifer M. Bean to host CineClub at the Paramount - March 30, 2017
- Jennifer M. Bean to host CineClub at the Paramount - February 3, 2016
- Cinema Dissection at SIFF - October 22, 2015
- Student project from autumn 2014 C LIT 302 Eco-Cinema course to play at NFTTY! - April 21, 2015
- Eco-Cinema Documentary admitted to the National Film Festival for Talented Youth Festival! - March 10, 2015
- Moving Images Research Group Symposium - March 9, 2015
- Jennifer M. Bean wins the Society for Cinema & Media Studies 2015 Best Edited Collection Award - January 26, 2015
- Silent Film Online database now available at UW Libraries - December 26, 2014
- Chapter from "Silent Cinema and the Politics of Space" featured in UW News - December 26, 2014
- "University of Washington professor Jennifer Bean,...knows more about silent films than Stephen Hawking knows about physics." - December 8, 2014
- Jennifer M. Bean Q & A with Guinevere Turner after Go Fish screening at SIFF Cinema - April 14, 2014
- New faculty publication: Silent Cinema and the Politics of Space - April 4, 2014
- ACA-MEDIA SCMS SEATTLE PODCAST - March 19, 2014
- Society for Cinema & Media Studies Seattle: A Micro-seminar - October 30, 2013
- Jennifer M. Bean to host Cine Club session! - March 15, 2013
- Jennifer M. Bean, plenary speaker at the Second International Berkeley Conference on Silent Cinema - February 26, 2013
- Faculty Publication: Flickers of Desire - March 10, 2011