I am generally interested in historical and interdisciplinary approaches to the study of modern culture. Within this framework I also have a number of more specific interests, including visual culture, the various technologies and institutions that produce it, and the historical experiences associated with them. I have published on several forms of nineteenth-century display culture, including zoological gardens, ethnographic exhibitions, and Wild West shows in Germany. I have also published on the interrelationship of science, technology, and popular culture in specific situations: the vital importance of the phonograph and the archive to the formation of ethnomusicology, and the cinema’s function as an instrument of cultural power in the writings of Hugo Münsterberg. I am co-editor of Germany’s Colonial Pasts (Nebraska, 2005) and author of Carl Hagenbeck’s Empire of Entertainments (Washington, 2009) and of Ferocious Reality: Documentary according to Werner Herzog (Minnesota, 2012). My edited collection, Werner Herzog: Interviews (Mississippi, 2014), is now available in paperback. Most recently, I published a little book on Aguirre, the Wrath of God in the BFI Film Classics series (2016).
In Autumn 2021, I will be offering a graduate seminar in pedagogy (CMS 525) for our teachers in training as well as a lecture course on "Great Directors: Werner Herzog" (CMS 271). In Spring 2022, I will teach our gateway to the major (CMS 301), focusing on the language of cinema and media studies.
Questions about CMS courses or degree programs? I'd be happy to help! Best way to reach me is email: email@example.com
- Eric Ames. Aguirre, the Wrath of God. BFI Film Classics. Palgrave Macmillan / British Film Institute, 2016.
- Eric Ames, ed. Werner Herzog: Interviews. University Press of Mississippi, 2014. Paperback 2015.
- Eric Ames. Ferocious Reality: Documentary according to Werner Herzog. University of Minnesota Press, 2012.
- Eric Ames. Carl Hagenbeck's Empire of Entertainments. University of Washington Press, 2009.
- Eric Ames, Marcia Klotz, Lora Wildenthal, eds. Germany's Colonial Pasts. University of Nebraska Press, 2005.
- New faculty publication: Aguirre, the Wrath of God - September 27, 2016
- Cinema Dissection at SIFF - October 22, 2015
- Notes from the Chair - September 29, 2015
- Eric Ames featured on The Whole U - March 27, 2015
- Filmmaker Werner Herzog examined in new book of interviews - May 19, 2014
- New faculty publication: Werner Herzog: Interviews (Conversations with Filmmakers) - April 4, 2014