Conventions, Institutional History, and Ideology
Chris Hamm, Instructor
In-person office hours (M235 Gowen Hall) by appointment.
- Office Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:00pm–4:00pm, via Zoom: https://washington.zoom.us/j/98597488289
- Office Hours: Mondays and Wednesdays 4:30pm-5:30pm, via Zoom: https://washington.zoom.us/j/92901295504
- Office Hours: Thursdays 3:30-5:30pm, via Zoom: https://washington.zoom.us/j/99692875372
Yan Yumo email@example.com
- Office Hours: Thursdays 1:30-3:30pm, via zoom: https://washington.zoom.us/j/6582035581
- Perform basic aesthetic, formal, and technical analysis of films and film sequences, using appropriate terms and concepts.
- Propose thematic analyses of individual films and film sequences.
- Define the role of genre in film production, film reception, and film production.
- Describe broad historical trends in the production of martial arts films in East Asia and beyond, and locate individual films in relation to these broader trends.
- Complete the Introductory Quiz on course policies and requirements
- Complete assigned readings by the dates noted
- View the assigned films by the dates noted
- View pre-recorded lectures by the dates noted
- Attend Class Meetings in Kane Hall on the first day of class (Wednesday 9/29) and Monday of each following week, or watch the Panopto recordings of these classes
- Participate in Section Meetings via Zoom on Wednesdays of weeks 2 through 11
- Complete weekly review exercises based on the assigned readings, lectures, and films
- Complete weekly written assignments
- Complete the final written assignment
- Introductory Quiz: REQUIRED to pass the course
- Section Participation: 10% of total grade
- Weekly Review Exercises 30%
- Weekly Written Assignments 45%
- Final Written Assignment 15%
In a typical week, your participation in the course will follow the schedule below. The first week (when classes begin on a Wednesday), Thanksgiving week, and the final week of class will follow different schedules. Consult your Canvas calendar and course Home page for details.
- Monday: Assigned readings due before Class Meeting
- Monday: Class Meeting
- Wednesday: Assigned films due before Section Meeting
- Wednesday: Pre-recorded lectures due before Section Meeting
- Wednesday: Section Meetings
- Thursday: Review Exercise due (Canvas submission)
- Saturday: Weekly Written Assignment due (Canvas submission)
Please consult the course policies on Access, Accommodations, COVID-19 precautions, Academic Integrity